Discuss how the work of the CIW upholds principle #3 of the EC, and encourages a sense of global responsibility. Describe your own reactions to this information.
- Principle 3: Build democratic societies that are just, participatory, sustainable and peaceful.
- Ensure that communities at all levels guarantee human rights and fundamental freedoms and provide everyone as opportunity to realize his or her full potential.
- Promote social and economic justice, enabling all to achieve a secure and meaningful livelihood that is ecologically responsible.
The third principle in the Earth Charter states that we need to, “build democratic societies that are just, participatory, sustainable, and peaceful.” (Earth Charter) The CIW seeks to uphold this principle through their actions to protect the workers in the tomato fields. The workers that the CIW are trying to protect are

encountering sub-poverty wages, are being denied of their fundamental labor rights and have even encountered forms of modern- day slavery. One of the CIW’s major works was the boycotting of Taco Bell. This stand against a fast food corporation giant gained the CIW major public stance and awareness. Their efforts fought only for one more penny per pound of tomatoes that they harvested, but the deeper meaning behind this was to help win back fundamental human rights and freedoms that were not being given to the workers. This one act of defiance against a corporation so large not only brought attention to where our food is coming from, but also how the workers are being treated and the conditions they are living and working in. We spoke about in class the harsh working conditions in meat packing industries. The treatment the farmers are receiving I believe surpass some of the worse conditions that the meat packing employees had to deal with. Neither are ideal, but the workers in the meat packing plants at least have some rights! (
Photo Credit)
I feel like CIW has opened the Pandora’s Box of working conditions because it is forcing the public to recognize the extreme issues happening right in our backyard. The workers are being put through what I would consider torture at times. The CIW is working towards fulfilling principle III to address the minimal pay, no benefits, extreme living and working conditions. This requires that we, as a community, hold the bosses of the workers accountable for their actions and hold each other accountable for our food choices. The choices we are making, such as where we spend our dollar, affect the demand of goods, like tomatoes, and in turn we can be seen as fuel to the

fire of these problems. I felt almost embarrassed that I had never heard of the CIW, their principles or their struggle until now. How could something so close to us be so invisible? I’ll admit that I do not actively watch the news, but how could something of this magnitude never come up in class discussions of ethics, morals or values. I feel like food issues tend to be pushed under the rug because we don’t want to address them because it is such a large problem. For example, we all know McDonalds is BAD for us, but yet we still continue to eat it because: a. everyone else is or b. it hasn't been brought to our attention just how bad it is. I know that video we watched in class hit a cord with me because I do enjoy a small french fry every once in awhile, but little did I know that those super fries are capable of withstanding weeks!
I even felt overwhelmed at the CIW
because of how much they are still fighting for! Compared to where they have come from though, they have accomplished great things. The CIW is continuously fighting for social and economical justice for the impoverished workers. Our most vulnerable members of society, those who are new to America, legal or illegal, may not fully understand the rights they deserve. As the CIW explained that some of what they are fighting for is not considered illegal; “The sub-poverty wages, long days without overtime, the denial of the right to unionize, the lack of benefits- are all perfectly legal due to the intentional exclusion of farm workers from key New Deal labor reform measures.” (
Student Farm Worker Alliance FAQs) This just shocks me. I couldn’t imagine being put in a situation where I am denied or withheld from all of these things, or even just one of them. I also couldn’t imagine having to fight for a job everyday with no guarantee. What is even worse is that they are fighting for a job that is less than desirable to an average person in our society today.
(Photo Credit)
Side note: The Student Farm Worker Alliance FAQ link it to their website, I got this information off a packet given to us by the CIW.
While reading your blog, I could definitly relate to what you said about how embarrassed you were about not knowing of CIW. After learning about them in class, I went home and could not stop telling my roommates about the organization. I kept saying how shocked I was that I had never even heard of them despite the huge successes they have had, not to mention they are right in our backyard. I find it especially shocking, because although, I do not watch the news religiously, I do watch it a lot. I do not understand why I have not heard of them before, and it made me realize how important it is to spread the word about what an incredible organization we have right here in Ft. Myers.
ReplyDelete